Good-tempered, very agile. Excellent nose, soft mouth; keen love of water. Adaptable, devoted companion. Intelligent, keen and biddable, with a strong will to please. Kindly nature, with no trace of aggression or undue shyness.
One of the most popular dog breed belong to Gun Dog / American Kennel Club Sporting (AKC) group, Labrador Retrievers believed originated from the island of Newfoundland in Canada.
Labrador Retriever Characteristics:
- Strong built and muscular
- Medium-sized and dense
- Very athletic and can be trained easily
- Have well-balanced conformation
- Comes in black, yellow or chocolate colors
- Lovable, affectionate and patient
- Loyal and high-spirited
- Love to play and swim
- Temperament and very friendly
- Superb with children and equable to other dogs
- They are watchdogs
- Good talents in hunting, tracking, retrieving and watchdogging
- Work with narcotics detection, police work, search and rescue
- Labs can guide for blind and disabled
Labrador Retriever Physical Characteristics
Labrador Retriever Male Dogs:
- Height ranges from 22 ½ inches to 24 ½ inches (55.9 to 62 ¼ cm)
- Weight ranges from 65 to 80 pounds (27 to 36 kg)
Labrador Retriever Bithces Dogs:
- Height ranges from 21 ½ inches to 23 ½ inches (54 1/2 to 60 cm)
- Weight ranges from 45 to 70 pounds (23 to 32 kg)
Coat: The Lab's coat should be short and dense, but not wiry. Acceptable colours are chocolate, black, and yellow. There is much variance within yellow Labs.
Head: The head should be broad with a pronounced stop and slightly pronounced brow. The eyes should be kind and expressive. Appropriate eye colours are brown and hazel. The lining around the eyes should be black. The ears should hang close to the head and are set slightly above the eyes.
Jaws: The jaws should be strong and powerful. The muzzle should be of medium length, and should not be too tapered. The jowls should hang slightly and curve gracefully back.
Body: The body should be strong and muscular with a level topline.